Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Power of Pacquiao

It was the year 2007 when I first heard of Manny Pacquiao. Why? I went to work on a Saturday and at 11am the streets were almost clear which almost never happens unless there's a coup d'etat.
At that time I was working in the building of a major network here. When I finally got there and I didn't see any marines or soldiers with high powered guns patrolling the vicinity which is a regular thing during political unrest, I realized that it's not a coup d'etat attempt as I previously thought it was. You could say I got mighty curious.
I went straight to the local Starbucks and while ordering my regular fix I started asking about the apparent lack of motorists and even customers on a weekend. They all looked at me and one asked, "Aren't you watching Pacquiao's fight?"
No. I didn't know who he was nor do I have any idea why I should be watching him.
Two years later I watched his fight with Cotto. THE FIRST ever boxing fight I watched in my entire life! The second full game of any kind after watching Webb play for the Philippine team on the ASEAN way back in the 90s.
His fight with Clottey is the second fight I watched. THAT's the kind of power Pacquiao has over the Filipinos. It can clear the streets as if Martial Law is back and it makes a spectator out of me.

No comments: